Thursday, August 19, 2010

Is it spring again?


There seems to be a re spring happening at my house.


We just got an order of Welsh Harlequin ducks eggs for hatching. These are an endangered livestock ducks that I am very proud to be hatching and , look forward to meat and eggs from them. I am wanting to start with two hens and a drake. Really hoping that they are quiet and will not disturb the neighbors.

I also received 10 Rhode Island Red chicken eggs. The last of our chickens have been eaten and I wanted to start fresh with a new flock so that everyone was the same age and would get along in the pen. We really only have room for 4 hens but that will give us more than enough eggs to feed my family. I am of course disappointed that I cannot raise a roster to keep the eggs fertile but will have to be happy with the quail and ducks for continuous source of meat.

Speaking of quail I put 10 quail eggs into the incubator as well. These will be for eating since i get more than enough quail eggs from them.


Just yesterday my daughter and I drove well past Stockton to pick up our new Nigerian Dwarf Goats. They are just adorable. Both over 4 years old but smaller than my lab puppy. I love driving with my daughter. We have the most interesting conversations and thinking about the changes that I have seen in her over the years just makes me smile. At one point she said "Mom, life is good" Yes baby life is good. There is nothing better than picking up two more animals fro our little farm. The Doe is in milk and I have started to milk her but have not gotten much out of her today. I will keep trying and hope that she will produce more as she gets use to the daily routine.


We also have quite a collection of baby rabbits. our Lilac (another heritage breed) gave birth to 4 healthy babies. We also have 16 American whites that are about 4 weeks old now. They are doing very well. I hope to sell them at the next rabbit show in September.


Finally some personally exciting news. We have been going through the process for adoption of our own children. We have finally finished the home study and will be meeting 3 little girls on Monday for potential placement. I am very excited and scared and a little overwhelmed. please keep us in your thoughts as we add more children to our ever changing house hold.


From the Blue Rivers

Shayne

No comments:

Post a Comment