Saturday, August 7, 2010

Fall garden planning

It is August and for me in the bay area that means another planting of crops. I love living in zone 9 for gardening. We have a lot of planting that can happen in August and September. My first frost is not until December and my last frost is in January giving me lots of time to plant. I did miss my spring window this year. We had purchased new cages for all of the rabbits and I had spent to much time and money on the animals and not enough on a garden. But I get a second chance now.
We caught another raccoon. That makes 6 for the summer. The animal control cop was a little upset with us because the raccoons are going to be put down and she said that they will just keep coming. I understand that this is prime raccoon habitat but the trap is set right next to my quail cage. If they are in the trap it is because they were planning on eating my quail. I am not putting the trap in the waterway or even on the fence line of my home. The trap sit almost in the middle of my yard. I feel terrible too but I feel worse when I have a baby bunny with half it's leg missing because the raccoon pulled it through the cage and bit it off. I just think that people who do not raise animals and gardens do not understand how hard it is. Not only do you fight your own financial and time constraints to do everything but you must build a relationship with one of the most moody women I have ever met. Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment